Friday, November 16, 2012

Band Assisted Squats

Workout of the Day

In the Morning...

Band Assisted Squats 7 x 3
Overhead Squat 5 x 5
Sumo Deadlifts 6 x 5
Bent Row 3 x 10
Glute Ham Raise 3 x 10
Good Morning 3 x 10


Band assisted squats are designed to give assistance at the bottom of the movement, where you are presumably weakest.  Like using chains, it allows you to load the bar heavier than you otherwise would be able to, giving your body the sensation of super heavy weight without having to support it through the entire movement.  Even if it were only for the confidence of putting more weight on your back I think this would be a worthwhile exercise for strength purposes, but what actually happens is it encourages you to fire faster out of the bottom of your squat.  I was able to work up to 425# for 3 with 1/2" bands from a 7 1/2 foot pull-up bar.  At the top of the movement the bands exerted no tension, only stretching as I got deeper in my squat, giving me a rebound out of the bottom.

For the overhead squat sets I kept the weight at 205#, working on balance mostly.  It had been awhile since I did overhead squats for multiple sets and I could feel myself out of practice.  Good to get a few sets in to remember.  I actually felt pretty strong on the Sumo Deadlifts, though, working up to 395# for 5 on the last set.  The time spent with Mark Bell has definitely paid off on this movement.  Posterior chain is more solid and my efficiency much higher.

Rest day tomorrow then off to the UK for Anywherefit Wales 2012!!!  Going to be an awesome weekend filled with ridiculous outdoor workouts.  Hopefully will be updating throughout the trip, so stay tuned...

1 comment: