Saturday, July 21, 2012

Grace in 1:45


Photo: Iceland comes to Folsom

Workout of the Day
WOD 1 – in the morning…
Static stretching and targeted mobility
Press to handstand progression
Pirouhettes
WOD 2 – in the afternoon…
Clean and Jerk 1, 1, 1, 1, 1 (each completed rep followed by 10 second overhead hold)
“Grace”
30 clean and jerk @ 135# for time
4 x 5 Deadlift @ 1-0-6-0 tempo
WOD 3 – in the evening…
5 rounds for time:
400 meter run
3 rope climbs (18 feet)
This is a few days old, so apologies on the delay.  Sven and Asta have been in town so my computer time has been more limited than usual. 
First off, the daily stretching and mobility is starting to make a difference.  Dedicating 15-20 minutes of my morning to old school static stretching is doing wonders for my overall flexibility, especially in my hips.  I’ve borrowed some stretches from k-starr and from the international gymnastics centre that are giving me great results, mostly because I’m doing them consistently.  More notable, perhaps, is how much I look forward to doing them every day.  It’s ritualistic in a world of constant variation, and I like that.  Following it up with some sort of upside down drill was a tip I took away from Dusty Hyland of Dogtown CrossFit.  It’s his opinion that CrossFitters simply don’t spend enough time inverted; that we treat handstands as some sort of skill that only needs to be touched on every and a while to perfect.  In the one week I’ve altered this pattern, I can already see that he is right.  My balance, confidence, and ability to relax upside down has gone up tremendously and, like the stretching, I’m looking forward to doing it every time.
The rest of the day went well, although I was feeling a little zapped of energy due to low sleep.  I clean and jerked 285#, which is only 10# under my pr.  The jerk felt easy, the clean a little rusty.  I love the static hold overhead upon completion of the rep.  I will be doing this every rep from now on in training for both the c & j and snatch. 
I did “Grace” in 1:45, the first 20 reps unbroken before giving in and doing 2’s the rest of the way.  My goal here is to not have to set the bar down and be under 1:30.  The evening conditioning wod was a great one.  Pushed hard on all the runs and spent as little time waiting at the rope as I could manage.  Did it with Jason at the box so we could give each other a little push.  Took me 10:42 to complete.  Very happy with this time and would like to see how some others out there do on it. 
Saturday I’m heading up to Tahoe to do a mountain run with the gym, meet up with some mountain boys in Drew Canavero and Myles Lewis, and spend some time paddleboarding a lake surrounded by mountains.  If you can’t tell, there’s a theme…  Don’t be scared of altitude people, keep moving up.

2 comments: