Saturday, July 7, 2012

Swim WOD


Photo: 530 am class ready for the 2nd half of summer!!

Workout of the Day
WOD 1 – in the morning…
Deadlift 5, 5, 5, 5 (385#)
Strict Chin Up 5, 5, 5, 5 (53#)
Bent Row 10, 10, 10 (135#)
Hand over hand pulley throw 30 ft, 30 ft, 40 ft (35#)
WOD 2 – in the evening…
3 rounds for time:
200 yard open water swim
20 kb snatch + thruster each side (53#)
10 burpees
After a long 4th of July I was not feeling too strong.  385# felt like 435# and the strict chin ups went from easy to impossible from set 1 to set 4.  But in spite of my lack of gusto, there was something gained from the strength session.  I really enjoyed the pulley as a different way to target the smaller muscle groups that help you finish bigger movements like jerks and presses.  It flashed me back to the days of dip/skull crusher supersets at California Family Fitness. 
By the time the evening rolled around, I had caught a nap, regained a bit of pep, and was ready for something long and uncomfortable.  Joining me with the 6:30 class were a couple of CF East Sac’s finest swimmers: Brian, Kyle, and Alice, all of whom are collegiate level or above in the water.  This provided a great push for me, since even though I’ve swam a lot this summer, it doesn’t compare to how well these people move in the water.  I was able to make up ground on land with the snatch/thruster combo, but not quite enough to keep up with Brian.  He finished the WOD in 18:09.  I was next at 19:35, and Kyle behind me just under 20:00.  The thrusters ended up being the most challenging piece, surprisingly.  It goes to show how difficult it is to do a movement unilaterally when you don’t practice that kind of balance. 
A big group is heading to the bay on Saturday to tackle the Marin headlands.  If anyone is in the neighborhood, come out to join us.  Should get to Bunker Hill around 9:30 am.

2 comments:

  1. Athletes training for their sport practice some highly specific drills, displaying them in combines.
    l-arginine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Before swimming into the water, you should do some leg stretches first to avoid cramping. healthcare recruitment

    ReplyDelete