Sunday, October 24, 2010

Barbells for Boobs

Workout of the Day

30 squat clean and jerks for time

First, big thanks to Brittany, Rick, and all of CrossFit West Sacramento for putting on an awesome event this morning. It was my first trip to their box but I’m sure it won’t be my last. It’s pretty impressive that they managed to get 75 pre-registered participants for this thing just through the use of Facebook and word of mouth.

I arrived a little after 8 in the morning and things were already rolling. Immediately I bumped into Justin and Travis from CF East Sac, there at the head of what seemed like an army representing their affiliate. The whole place was splattered with pink t shirts, socks, and arm bands, leaving little doubt which cause we were supporting. Heats were organized to start every 20 minutes with between 8 and 12 people per heat. I got slated to go at 9:20, giving me plenty of time to socialize and warm up before things got cracking.

The first few heats featured nobody I knew personally, but there were some good-looking athletes to be sure. Travis and Justin both went off at 9:00 and posted then best times of 3:26 and 3:50, respectively. As they were going I saw Jake Newbauer come in. Great seeing him again—big congratulations on opening his affiliate in Carmichael! Can’t wait to go check it out.

Brittany was my judge, a self-described hardass, so I wasn’t going to get any favors. I chose to do squat cleans to thrusters every time, dropping the weight from the top rather than holding on to it to the bottom. As the bar bounced off the ground, I would catch it about thigh height then guide it to the floor and touch and go into the next repetition. This proved a great strategy as I was able to string together 18 consecutive repetitions before having to set the bar down. I did singles the rest of the way and stopped the clock at 2:50. Jake went after me at 9:40 and posted 3:10. As it stood when I left those were the 4 best times for the men, but there were a lot of people still to come.

This event was fantastic not only because the cause was worthy, but because the gathering of people was more than so. I met athletes and coaches from all over the area that I had not yet known about, setting up all kinds of potential road trips in the near future.

Again, big thanks to the CFWS crew and everyone involved for putting this on. Boobs, it appears, will persevere.

1 comment:

  1. Blair! I had to make sure you were legit! Now I'm thinking I should have done some juice testing on you before allowing you to compete haha you were awesome to judge and watch! It meant a lot to have you there thanks for coming to my little section of the world! you're welcome anytime. !st went to you 2nd went to Jake way to go guys

    ReplyDelete