Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Nearly a PR

Workout of the Day

WOD 1 – in the morning… Glide kipping, 10 minutes practice 1 attempt max distance handstand walk

WOD 2 – in the afternoon… Snatch 1, 1, 1, 1, 1 1 back squat every minute on the minute @ 90% 1RM until failure to complete. 10 minute cap. 100 meter overhead carry (135#) while pulling 145# sled 3 x max time isometric hold of inverted row

WOD 3 – in the evening… For time: 1 burpee, 60 yard run, 1 burpee, 60 yard run 2 burpees, 60 yard run, 2 burpees, 60 yard run 3 burpees, 60 yard run, 3 burpees, 60 yard run… continue until round of 10 burpees.

Made some big progress today in a couple areas. 1) I got the glide kip down. FINALLY. Took some dedicated work and a lot of video analysis, but getting up on top of a bar using momentum rather than strength is now in the arsenal.

2) I had 245# over my head not once, but twice today with a legitimate chance to make the lift. I didn’t make it either time, but they were both good misses. The weight didn’t feel too heavy, and I was fast under it on each occasion. This gives me a ton of confidence that I am very close to snatching 250#, which is a lifetime goal.

3) I pushed my aerobic capacity past the point of comfort and my body responded. The burpee ladder with 60 yard runs in between had me sucking gas hard, but I never had to break the burpees. The runs got progressively slower, I admit. Not sure there’s any way around this. But my overall time of 11:15 is something I’m happy with. 110 burpees and 1200 yards of running is a lot of work done in that amount of time.

Heading to watch my alma mater in a local high school basketball showdown with their cross-town rivals. Go Cougars!

6 comments:

  1. Congrats on all of your accomplishments! Finally getting a skill that you've been working on is one of the best things ever :) Sorry we didn't get a win today, you'll just have to come back for playoffs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you want to buy a AGM vrla battery, you’d better ask yourself three questions: Is it going to be used indoors or outdoors? How long will it supply power? Does it match the voltage output? Make sure you purchase the appropriate one to prevent accidents. Also make sure that your ups battery has a built-in surge suppressor and warranty for added protection. Finally, do not just settle for any cheap brand. Invest in a high-quality ups replacement battery, even if it is a bit more expensive. A cheap but faulty unit will only damage your appliances and devices (sometimes beyond repair), costing your more money in the long run.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good stuff Blair,
    But more importantly, now I know where to get my next battery!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Blair! Today I did my 2 WOD of the day the burpee ladder with 60 yards. You beat me in the lullaby, Igot you in this one, 10:40 ;)
    Great Workouts man!!
    Keep it up! I love your blog

    ReplyDelete