Monday, March 15, 2010

Rest Day

A Moments Rest by Julien Dupré - 15 x 22 inches Signed French realist French academic paris salon exhibitor 19th century realism haymaker wheat field gleaners farm workers peasants working bucolic scenes
I decided to take an extra day of rest this week. My ankle is a bit sore from Saturday's soccer match (apparently I turned it) and I didn't sleep so well the last few nights. It's been awhile since I took two consecutive days in a training week to relax, so this felt like the right time to do it.
Below is the follow up to my post yesterday on my eating habits. Here it is: the food I ate today.

Not my best day on the menu board…

9:30 am: 4 hardboiled eggs and a banana

1:00 pm: Greek marinated chicken with pan-fried potatoes, lettuce, tomatoes, and yogurt sauce (purchased in a local Parisian food haunt—got stuck out doing things and needed to eat)

5:00 pm: 2 apples and a sizeable block of Dutch cheese

8:00 pm: Grilled chicken breast, ¼ head purple cabbage, ¼ head broccoli, 1 onion, 1 tomato, 1 carrot, handful spinach leaves, half jar of olive/tomato bruschetta

8:30 pm: 1 ridiculously chocolate brownie to share in the birthday celebration of a neighbor

12:00 am (currently): Leftover turkey from last night, with carrots, cabbage, bell peppers, and curry sauce

Certainly a few non-ideal items on this list, but I felt compelled to tell the truth because it highlights reality. Every day is not perfect and you have to own up to it.

Reading back over things, I didn’t eat enough either. True, I didn’t train today, but I still don’t think this is enough calories for the speed at which my metabolism tends to push things through my body. Part of this limited consumption is due to an empty refrigerator, but most of it is my lazy ass not waking up until 9:15 in the morning and having to rush out the door to be at a meeting by 10:30. My breakfasts are typically much heftier, and the more hours you're awake the more opportunities you have to eat. But, as they say, c’est la vie. On to tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. Good on you for being honest.

    I think one of the marks of a serious athlete is the ability to mess up a little bit and not use it as an excuse to break down/ give up/ not try as hard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was going to say you should try to incorporate an avocado into your diet for the vitamin and fat content, but then remembered how spoiled we Californians are with our glut of avocados. Can you get them readily in Europe?

    ReplyDelete