Thursday, March 25, 2010

Workout of the Day

3 minute AMRAP fireman carry upstairs

3 minute rest

3 minute AMRAP reverse bear crawl upstairs

3 minute rest

3 minute AMRAP fireman carry upstairs

I was out touring today with Niels and Sasha down on the Isle Saint Louis, among other places. We found a staircase and did this workout (Sasha filmed while Niels and I alternated carrying each other). The toughest part of this sequence was definitely the reverse crawls. The flight of stairs totaled 40 steps, which is a lot to carry someone on your back, but even more to continually support your own weight and propel your body upwards against gravity. The first set of fireman carries, I finished 5 rounds plus 18 steps. Niels finished 5 exactly. On these, muscle failure was the main culprit. My legs, calves, and back were burning by the end of the 4th round. To continue climbing was an exercise in mental fortitude and physical stamina.

For the reverse crawls I finished 2 rounds plus 7 steps, but was completely dying. Niels did 2 rounds even. The first time up I didn’t even break rhythm. The second, however, I was fighting the entire time. The huge disparity here leads me to believe that some sort of coordination was lost due to fatigue and concentration. Either way, this wiped me out.

The last set of carries I finished 5 rounds before time expired, feeling much the same as I did during the first set. Only this time, my pace was significantly slower and the fatigue set in much more quickly. Carrying people in awkward situations is no easy task, so props to those life savers out there doing this sort of thing every day. I have video footage of this workout that I hope to have access to over the next few days if I can get the appropriate cable for Niels’s camera.

Rest day tomorrow, getting ready for the weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment