Friday, August 27, 2010

Fit as F*ck and the O Lane

Workout of the Day

WOD 1 – In the afternoon

Fit as F*ck Challenge WODs @ Paideia Gym

WOD 2 – In the evening

Navy Obstacle Course

Slept like a baby last night after one of the longest days I can remember. The workload today would prove to be much different than yesterday, but no less taxing. Sarah, Ditte, Anders, and I went to Paideia to test out 2 of the 5 WODs set for the Fit as F*ck Challenge coming up in less than a month here in Copenhagen. I’ve been sworn to secrecy as to their details, so I can’t give a full account of how things went, what was most difficult, or how I performed. However, I will say that both of the events are built for excitement. While I did each I could easily imagine a crowd being very involved and very intense. Also, strategy and technique will be huge. I don’t think brute strength will be enough win either of these events. I managed a PR in one of the lifts and performed reasonably well in everything else we did, so I came out of the session feeling pretty positive. That’s all I’m permitted to say so good luck to those of you set to go September 25th!

This evening I joined my friend Kasper, member of the Danish National Pentathalon team, for a trip through the Navy obstacle course. Never having done this before, I didn’t really know what to expect. Maybe some hurdles, some wall climbs, crawling under nets… Certainly not the high wire sliding and aerial balancing acts I was asked to perform. This shit was no joke! Definitely low fear factor and high level skill required to complete this thing. Kasper took me through each of the obstacles and coached me up on how to tackle them. After a couple times through each individual we decided it was time for me to try and string them together. So I did, and really didn’t do too badly. I missed my first attempt at scaling the ledge but recovered nicely. Also missed the first grenade toss through the submarine door. No biggie. I was doing alright until the very last obstacle owned me. A horizontal rope climb 5 meters to a tiny platform where you must then pirouette and leap down before running across the finish line. By this point I was so exhausted and intent on being finished that my technique was awful. I couldn’t get my feet do what I wanted them to do and it wound up taking me a good 20 seconds to finish the climb. My total time was 3:19. Kasper informed me that this wasn’t bad for my first run…then we proceeded to do it in 2:05. HA. What a baller. This was a ton of fun and a great example of fitness in action. Big respect to the men and women who use these skills to survive in combat from day to day. I’ll try to attach clips tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Blair, this post made a question pop into my head: have you ever considered serving in the military?

    ReplyDelete