Wednesday, August 25, 2010

CrossFit Amsterdam

Workout of the Day

WOD 1 – in the morning

Low impact run 40 minutes

WOD 2 – in the evening

1RM snatch effort

CrossFit Amsterdam Chipper

10 handstand pushups

20 knees to elbows

30 burpees

40 box jumps (60 cm)

50 dips (parralettes)

60 pullups

70 pushups

80 situps

90 squats

100 double unders

Got up today feeling pretty fresh and excited for the evening with the guys at CrossFit Amsterdam. I wanted to get out and loosen up so a light run fit the bill well. I find that from time to time its good to put in the time without worrying much about the intensity of the effort. When I trained for the Marine Corps Marathon back in 2008, this was a big part of the training—teaching your body to work for the amount of time it would take to run the marathon without running it as hard as you would in the race. This type of exercise is also great for exploring your local environment. I came across a few places today in Leiden that I absolutely would use for WODs in the future if I were staying longer.

This evening was much more intense. The facility was located in a classic industrial complex outside the city with 9 meter ceilings and huge amounts of floor space. Kevin Naarden met Niels, Okke, and I there early for a little Olympic work. This was great because I didn’t have lifting shoes, tape, or any of the other bullshit amenities you get used to. Just had to go in and lift the weight. And I did. 100 kg in running shoes. This is the 6th or 7th time I’ve lifted that weight now and I feel so confident with it. I am going to snatch 110 kg by October, guaranteed.

We hit the chipper right away and the group we had was pretty good size. Kevin competed in the European Regionals this year and is a really fit guy so having him there was great motivation for me. We pushed each other through most of the WOD, I had a slight lead that increased gradually until the end. He got stuck with a bad rope on the double unders and it cost him a little time. The hardest part for me was definitely the pushups. Coming off of dips and pullups I literally couldn’t do more than 5 pushpus in a row. It was brutal. But the situps I did without breaking and the squats were fine as well. I finished the workout in 18:23, not a bad time I think. Kevin came in around 22 minutes and I’m not sure where everyone else was. I really enjoyed this and look forward to coming back to train with the people at CrossFit Amsterdam. Best of luck to everyone!

6 comments:

  1. Blair, do you feel that your training prior to the Games prepared you for the amount of volume/work capacity of the Games?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was great having you guys over at crossfitAmsterdam!
    The best of luck and we hope to see you soon....
    Greetz Jarno & Dimitri (Crossfit Amsterdam).

    ReplyDelete
  3. myth, yes. the volume was not a problem at all at this years games. i only felt limited in certain skill areas that may have been more practiced in a gym.
    jamo & dimitri, thanks so much again. really enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Blair,
    60cm box jumps would that be the equivilant to a 6 decimeter box jump!

    Saw this on youtube and thought you could use it for your training while your over there.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AuIURhCoAA&feature=player_embedded

    EURO-Training!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, i would like to know if you do a crossfit in Leiden

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  6. When I started Crossfit in April 2009, CrossFit footwear was just as hard to find as a Crossfit affiliate. this page

    ReplyDelete