Sunday, December 12, 2010

Threshold Training

Weekend Workouts

Friday

OH Squat 8, 8, 8, 8

DB push press to 5 second eccentric 4, 4, 4, 4, 4

Hanging curl ups 3 x max

800 meter swim

Saturday

2 rounds with rest as needed:

With a 2 minute cap, do 10 repetitions of the Bear Complex (135 lb) followed by AMRAP muscle ups

I had a great weekend of workouts the past few days, including a trip to Midtown Strength and Conditioning Saturday for some threshold training. Camillo was there and training, Justin Riley came over, and Britney Miller as well. Together we took turns going 2 minutes as hard as possible through 10 rounds of the Bear and as many muscle ups as we could muster. The fact that this WOD had a 2 minute cap didn’t allow us to game or strategize at all, making the 10 rep complex doable unbroken. My first set I got to the rings with about a minute to go, leaving little to no time to rest before running out of time. I got 9 muscle ups and was wiped. It probably took me 10 minutes or so before getting back around to my second set, in which I only managed 6 muscle ups and a slower bear time. The legs, heart rate, and grip were all jacked to near maximal levels for a while afterwards—threshold reached.

After some rest Sunday I’ll be on my 6th week of training consecutively. That means it’s almost time to take a break to let the body recuperate. I’ve been having a lot of discussions lately about how to properly recover, when to properly recover, and why to properly recover. Forget this part of training and you’ll wind up injured or performing poorly.

No comments:

Post a Comment