Thursday, March 3, 2011

1 mile swim

Workout of the Day

WOD 1 – in the morning…

Gymnastics

Dip to L sit pause 10, 10, 10

Back lever eccentric 6, 6, 6

L sit holds 3 x max

WOD 2 – in the afternoon…

Strength

Deadlift 5, 5, 5

Strict Press 5, 5, 5

RDL + bent row 8, 8, 8

Unilateral KB press from palm 3 x max

WOD 3 – in the evening…

Conditioning

1 mile swim for time

The morning session was all about control—being able to smoothly transition from a movement to an isometric hold takes some strength. It also recruits a ton of motor units which speeds the process of motor learning. Doing exercises like a dip to an L sit pause will improve control and strength quicker than doing either in isolation. Similarly, fighting to control the downward phase of a back lever is like a total system overload. It required every ounce of strength and concentration to merely slow my body from falling toward the ground.

In the afternoon I toyed around with some new assistance exercises after some solid deadlifting and pressing. The RDL to bent row is an old favorite that’s been collecting dust for awhile now, but still packs a punch. If you’ve never tried it, load the bar to a weight you could ordinarily row for 12 and watch yourself fail at 6. The time under tension goes way up in this variation as well as the need to transition the application of force. GREAT exercise. The KB palm press is just like it sounds. Rather than using the handle, palm the bottom of the bell and use your fingers to control the path (see picture above w/24 kg bell). Definitely do this over some grass or soft flooring because you’re most likely going to drop it.

Finally, I decided to throw out a pretty big gauntlet for myself this evening. I’d never done a mile swim before, at least not since I was a 10 year old boy scout, and it’s definitely on the list of things someone should do. I won’t say I dominated this by any stretch, but I didn’t bomb it either. I kept a pretty steady pace the entire way, managed to control my breathing and stroke count, and wound up completing the entire distance in 30:58. Not bad for a knock around land lover, I’m told. Maybe with a little instruction I’ll be able to swim myself to safety when I’m stranded off the coast of some deserted island populated by gorgeous, hard-bodied natives. It could happen.

4 comments:

  1. Breast stroke or crawl on the swim? Been really interested in swimming recently and I´m trying to improve my crawl-technique, much more efficient and faster when done right.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boy scout, uh? Man, I didn't do that even back then =)

    Do you get sore after such a swimming session?

    ReplyDelete
  3. definitely all crawl... trying to up the stamina and breast stroke is kind of a break from that for me. not feeling too sore after swimming most days. only time is if i over pull and start dragging my legs. otherwise i tend to feel alright

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice workout Blair, better hit sub thirty next time on the swim. Fit dude.

    ReplyDelete