Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Back at it

Workout of the Day

WOD 1 – in the afternoon…

Strength

Squat Clean 3, 3, 3

Weighted Knee Jumps 5, 5, 5, 5, 5

GHD situps 20, 20, 20

WOD 2 – in the evening…

Conditioning

3 rounds for time:

9 muscle ups

15 burpee pullups

21 pullups

800 meter run

My flight arrived late from Colorado last night so I wasn’t able to get to the gym this morning before work to do gymnastic skill work. I’m disappointed by this but I think it was the right call. The afternoon strength session at CF East Sac was fun. It’d been 10 days since I lifted anything remotely heavy so I was pumped to get back on the horse. The days of travel and skiing still had me a bit worn down though, and I think it showed. My top set was at 265 lb and I missed the 3rd attempt. Not really for lack of strength—the weight didn’t feel too heavy. It was more looseness in technique. I fully expect to get at least 275 lb for 2 next week.

The assistance exercises afterwards were very cool, the knee jumps in particular. To try this, get in a kneeling position and simply extend the hips forcefully as if you were jumping. The upward force generated should give your feet enough time to slide under you body and catch you in a squat. It trains explosion and speed, two things necessary for Olympic lifting. I did my sets with weight vests totaling 100 lb but this can be done effectively with bodyweight as well.

The evening conditioning was the mainsite hero WOD called McClusky. I did it over at CF Stomping Ground in Carmichael and found myself pretty destroyed afterwards. Definitely a tough task to come back to after 5 days of partying but I’m glad for it. My time was 21:45 with no vest.

Rest and recovery tomorrow, looking to try and snag a yoga class in the afternoon. If anyone in the area has recommendations, I’m all ears.

1 comment:

  1. Solid weight on the cleans dude, glad to see you got some R&R on your trip.

    ReplyDelete