Monday, April 18, 2011

WOD 11.4 and another Storyline Submission

Well… I am officially “Opened” out. At first the prospect of a 6 week crossfit challenge sounded exciting and fun, but I have to be honest: I’m sick of it. This last workout was the most creative and intriguing in my estimation, yet I still found myself lacking the drive to get up for it. Maybe this is all part of the master plan, to test people’s mental endurance as well as their physical, but I think it’s more of a miscalculation of interest. This topic has been a pretty popular one of late in many of the gym communities I frequent, and no one seems to be arguing the contrary. Everyone is talking about how the last month has altered their training, sucked them into a competition only mentality, and psychologically drained them. Luckily I have still been training as I otherwise would have, but I feel the psychological drain for sure. My score this WOD was 143 and I hated every single burpee of the second round. Can’t wait for this to be over.

In happier news, we have another Storyline submission, this time from Dael in Israel. Check it out below.

Storyline WOD for Passover from CF IL on Vimeo.

a Crossfit style, short and wiredo WOD, in a biblical narrative - based on Exsodus, chapter 2. Moses is fighting an Egyptian in order to help his brothers, the people of Israel. Can Crossfit be any more fun than this?

4 comments:

  1. I've got to agree with you on this one. Tired of it for sure, and we still have 2 weeks to go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm over the sport of fitness.

    From a "fan's" perspective (i.e. not competing) I've definitely lost interest. I'm still happy to cheer for my friends as the take on the various open WODs but personally I'm ready for it to be over. Between a leaderboard which makes it difficult to determine who's in what place overall (except for a few days per week when the prior WOD is closed and the new WOD has yet to be posted), the long drawn out nature of the open, and the incessant whining about how there's "no way anyone could get that score unless they were cheating" I'm totally over the new format.

    Additionally, it's sucked a lot of the fun out of the overall spirit at the box I workout at. The top competitors seem run down (perhaps mentally more than physically), rarely working out with the group classes and the overall programming seems to have suffered with so much emphasis being placed on prepping for the upcoming WOD.

    I've got to say this is exactly where the Anywherefit blog plays a critical role. Reminding us how much fun can be had by mixing up our training, trying new things and taking on new challenges. Keep up the good work and keep having fun!

    Phil

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did a blog post with a link back to here...

    www.functhat.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I completely agree, Blair. As a coach and a competitor, I am totally wiped out by this point. I have to judge 2-3 Games WODs/day outside of regular classes for people that are out of town on the weekend, program my own week for competition and organize a mini-sectional every Saturday. I am burnt...

    I love the new format, yet I think this really puts a ton of burden on the individual affiliates...

    Thanks for the honest reflection.

    - Cody

    ReplyDelete