Friday, June 24, 2011

449 Fight Gone Bad

Workout of the Day

WOD 1 – in the morning…

5 Pistol Squats each leg

20 hollow rocks

Repeat 4 times

WOD 2 – in the afternoon…

DB kneeling strict press 5, 5, 5, 5, 5

Barbell walking lunge 10, 10, 10

Toe to bar + chest to bar 10, 10, 10, 10, 10

WOD 3 – in the evening…

“Fight Gone Bad”

3 x 1 minute rounds of

Wall Ball (20#)

Sumo DL high pull (75#)

Box Jumps (20”)

Push Press (75#)

Row

Needless to say, the volume was high today. Technically, the morning session was great practice for me with a skill I’m historically poor at. I’ve found that rolling from my back into the squat is proving the best method developing the ankle flexibility and balance needed to perform this movement. The afternoon WOD marked the return to a move that is sooo under-utilized in CrossFit. The weighted walking lunge is far and away the best developer of glute and high hamstring strength that I have ever found. Grab a barbell, load it up, and do this exercise. Then try to sit down in your desk chair for 3 days. It ain’t happening. I did my sets today at 135#, 155#, and 185#.

Finally, we were doing Fight Gone Bad at the gym today and it felt only appropriate that I throw my hat in the ring for my conditioning session. It’s been 2 years or more since I’ve done this monster, so I didn’t really have high expectations of eclipsing my previous best mark of 425. I gotta say though, it felt much better than anticipated. I didn’t get gassed until halfway through the 3rd round, and by that time the end was so near that adrenaline was enough to carry me through. I finished at 449, 1 shy of a major milestone. Naturally, the 1 rep I needed to get 450 was left on the table during my last round of wall balls-my only missed target of the WOD. Wish I would’ve video taped it, but such is life.

Expecting major soreness tomorrow so I’ll be heading to the river for some much needed ice water and vitamin D.

No comments:

Post a Comment