Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Sunset Swim WOD

Workout of the Day

WOD 1 – in the morning…

2 Muscle Up to HSPU/minute on the minute

Ring HSPU 4, 4, 4

WOD 2 – in the afternoon…

Power Clean 3, 3, 3, 3, 3

Front Squat 20, 20, 20

Back Extension 10, 10, 10

Rope pullups w/ lateral swing 3 x max

WOD 3 – in the evening…

For Time:

250 yard swim

4 rounds of

100 yard farmers walk (45# db)

20 hand release pushups

Finish with 250 yard swim

I woke up tired today but slowly gained energy throughout the day. My technique and strength on the rings were a step back from last week, but I ironed out a few things and have some ideas about how to improve my form. Body tension is such a difficult thing to maintain when you get tired, but without it you have to work so much harder. Getting from a dip to a handstand smoothly requires body tension, coordination, and some speed.

This afternoon I trained at CF East Sac with Justin, working up to a new 3RM power clean at 265#. Not having done these in a while, I am way pumped to hit that number. Makes me think I might be able to get 285# for a single. Following a heavy explosive set with 3 x 20 front squats is a nice bit of contrast for those of you wanting to be powerful and have strength endurance. I hit 155#, 175#, and 185# for these with plenty of rest between. Pretty well jellied after that.

Finally, I got back out to the lake for this evening’s conditioning. I was smoked after the strength session so getting in the water proved just what the doctor ordered. The water temperature has increased dramatically over the past 2 weeks, hovering somewhere around 70 now. It felt like a swimming pool at sunset. The farmers walks and pushups were less psychologically rewarding, but I battled my way through them just the same. All told, this WOD took me 18:16 to complete. Happily, my respiratory conditioning felt great… no hyperventilation in the water, no sucking gas on the farmers walks. The only thing I was fighting was muscle fatigue and some minor quad cramping from the front squats J. Check the video clip below.

No comments:

Post a Comment