Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Training for the Games... Day 1

Workout of the Day

WOD 1 – in the morning…

1 muscle up to handstand pushup on the minute until 20 minutes

WOD 2 – in the afternoon…

Front Squat

7, 7, 7, 7, 7

Toes to Bar x 50

Good Mornings x 50 (45#)

WOD 3 – in the evening…

400 meter tire drag for time (95#)

It was my first full day back training since regionals, so apologies for the recent absence of posts. In the spirit of returning to form, however, I really got after it today. I’ve been wanting to practice this morning’s skill for a while and doing single repetitions on the minute allowed me to practice a lot of technique while moderately fatigued. I was able to get all 20 minutes without a miss, but there’s definitely still some work to be done to make the transition more efficient.

The idea behind the front squats was to pick a rep range that I hardly ever work at. 7 seemed a nice balance between pure strength and some muscular endurance, and it turned out to be a great challenge. I completed sets at 225, 235, 245, 255, and failed after 6 reps at 265. All around solid lifting though.

Finally, I took my newly fashioned and eye bolted semi tire out to the lake this evening for some lower body domination. 400 meters of asphalt, no turns. The rules I gave myself were that the elbows couldn’t bend and the tire had to remain on the ground. Other than that, it was simply move the thing to the end of the stretch as fast as possible. I was running, walking, back peddling, side peddling, bear crawling… any which way I could lean to give the muscles most recently in pain a break I was willing to try. It took me 7:34 to complete the distance and I was spent. 95# of rubber doesn’t slide too well on dry asphalt; not like a metal sled does at least. This was all kinds of uncomfortable and challenging, and really not that difficult or expensive to manufacture. Those of you out there looking for a new wrinkle in your outdoor repertoire, get yourself a tire, an eye bolt, a washer and 3 nuts, and a tow rope. It’ll be worth the 50 bucks I promise.

4 comments:

  1. Do you just clip the tow rope to some type of belt? Or do you just tie it off?

    ReplyDelete
  2. my tow rope had hooks on both ends so i cinched it on itself around my waist. but you could use a carribeaner or harness just as easily

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ charlie. if you use only one itll wiggle off. 2 is probably enough, 3 isn't going anywhere

    ReplyDelete