Monday, August 29, 2011

Long Absence

CrossFit Max Effort

Workout of the Day

5 rounds for time:

1 deadlift @ 405#

1 rope climb @ 20 ft

2 turkish getups @ 32 kg (1 each side)

So I've been on a bit of a hiatus since Iceland, for which I apologize. But I have been working on a recap of the trip that will hopefully be finished early this week. In the meantime, I've started training again.

Today’s WOD was meant to be heavy, and it was. I stopped in to Zach Forrest’s gym in Las Vegas (CrossFit Max Effort) for their open gym and found everything anyone could ever want. The ceilings are 30 feet tall for starters, and the gym itself is connected to a minor league baseball stadium. How badass is that? Brick walls and bright green industrial I-beams decorate a place loaded with equipment and space. My WOD took place beneath one of the 30 ft ropes they had hanging from the ceiling, against the back wall out of the way. The deadlifts got progressively heavier as might be expected, with the last one breaking all rules for neutral spine and lordotic stability. The rope climbs were fast and easy every time, but the Turkish getups absorbed quite a bit of time. I really liked the combination of strength, speed, and control this WOD required. My final time was 5:59.

Looking forward to a bit of normality over the next few weeks since I won't be traveling so much. Hope to catch up on some posting in that time as well :-)

1 comment: