Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Swim and Tire Drags in the Sand

Workout of the Day

WOD 1 – in the morning…

Sledge Hammer variations—15 minutes

Single arm vertical, double arm vertical, alternating arm vertical, horizontal swings, diagonal swings

WOD 2 – in the afternoon…

Strict Press

2 x 5 @ 75%, 2 x 4 @ 80%, 2 x 3 @ 85%, 2 x 2 @ 90%, 2 x 1 @ 95%

100 hollow rocks for time

Every broken set do 10 ring dips

WOD 3 – in the evening…

3 rounds for time:

200 yard swim

100 yard tire drag (95#)

Today wound up being a pretty low volume day. The sledge variations were fun and required a lot of hand/eye coordination that doesn’t get trained very often. I especially liked the single arm variation (done with a sideways stance). It almost felt like I was swinging a medieval ball and chain. I used an 8# sledge for the single arm and alternating arm so that I could swing the sledge faster and generate a little more force as opposed to the 16# guy. That one you really just have to let it do the work.

In the afternoon I took on an ambitious strength sequence that turned out to be more than I could handle. The sets of 5, 4, and 3 went fine, but by the 2’s I was too worn out to complete the reps. I rested plenty, just didn’t have enough strength to finish it out. The evening session was a lot better. Getting out to the lake and doing some swimming is really therapeutic for me. So much so that I didn’t even mind the 100 yard tire drags through the sand in between :-) Well, maybe a little. The funny thing about swimming is that it makes every other exercise paired with it feel easier because of the breathing. No matter what you come out of the lake trying to catch your breath, and, no matter what, the next exercise is easier to do so because your face isn’t stuck in the water. Don’t get me wrong…the tire drags sucked in the sand. Felt like I was pulling 200# instead of 95#. But at least I could breath. The whole thing took me 16:39 to complete.

No comments:

Post a Comment