Wednesday, October 26, 2011

2 squat clean every minute on the minute

Workout of the Day

WOD 1 – in the morning…

Press handstands with band assistance

WOD 2 – in the afternoon…

2 Squat Cleans every minute on the minute @ 85% 1RM until failure to complete

3 x 10 strict toes to bar

2 x 100 feet pulley hoist (85#)

WOD 3 – in the evening…

5 km row for time

Super productive day at the office. From a new gymnastics progression in the morning to an absolutely brutal 18:24 on the rower in the evening, today offered a little bit of everything a solid program should. I didn’t get outside at all, but after the constant met con madness in Barcelona some old fashioned gym time felt like the right call.

For the 85% squat cleans I used 245# and got through all 20 rounds. This protocol is proving VERY effective. My technique was actually improving as the sets wore on. I could feel the necessity for maximizing the third pull as I started to fatigue, and the constant repetitions gave me the opportunity to make the adjustment. Said it before and will say it again. High volume Olympic lifting with moderate to heavy load is the best way to improve technical proficiency. When you’re too tired to muscle the movement, your body has to be efficient or the weight’s not coming up.

As a short post script, I HATE 5 km rows. This fucking sucks. That’s all I have to say heading into a rest day.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Blair, i follow your blog from Paris ;)
    I have a question for you, it's not the first time you use the 20 rounds format for strength exercice, can you tell me more about it?
    You said "2 Squat Cleans every minute on the minute @ 85% 1RM until failure to complete" and you stop at 20 rounds why? because it's time your are on a failure or because 20 rounds ( 40 reps) it's enough volume on the exercise. For example, if you choose a weight and you can"t go more that 17 rounds, the next workout your work to beat that and work the following weeks until you have 20 rounds in your muscles.
    You stop at 20 rounds even if you can go for 23 rounds?
    thanks for the answer, sorry for my borat english ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. no worries. i stop at 20 because the volume is enough there. its a clean place to stop and the work is done by then, in my experience.

    ReplyDelete