Tuesday, March 22, 2011

CrossFit Games Open

Last weekend ushered in the first official WOD of the 2011 CrossFit Games season, if it can be called a season. I must admit that at first I was a little skeptical of the new system. Imagining a “competition” without physical competitors just felt kind of weird. But I have to say this thing is way cooler than I anticipated. First, a few of the more competitive affiliates in the Sacramento valley agreed to host each WOD in lieu of the previously held sectionals, thus the atmospheric component was maintained. Second, the online leaderboard CrossFit HQ has put together makes following other competitors’ progress really easy and fairly addicting. You get ranked in your region and against the rest of the world, almost like a NASCAR points chase or a PGA tour ranking. Not hard to see where they will be heading with this, is it?

Finally, the WOD itself was well designed. 30 double unders and 15 power snatches @ 75 lb for 10 minutes straight. Skill mixed with conditioning = people painting the floor with sweat and spit. Rocklin CrossFit hosted this weekend and it saw a surging turnout of close to 100 people. Heats were organized, judges were onhand, and spectators were aplenty. I got slated somewhere in the middle of it all and posted a score of 8 rounds + 30 DU + 8 snatches. My conditioning felt good until the end of the 5th round…then my shoulders started giving out on the snatches—Maxing out overhead squats the day before could’ve had an impact here. I can’t imagine doing 10 rounds of this workout at any time ever, but I could see getting 9 on a fresher day. Maybe. Could just as easily have gotten pinned below 8.

Now that the dust has settled it looks like myself, 209 Sport’s Gabe Subry, and Chad Augustine of Rocklin hold the top spots in Northern California. This made me smile since these are guys I’ve trained with more than a few times already and have the opportunity to do so again in the future. But…this week is a rest period for me so those sessions will have to wait for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment