Saturday, September 26, 2009

Morning and Afternoon in Sicily

Friday was a rest day, and I didn't get a chance to post anything since I had just arrived and was pretty tired. Today, however, was quite a different story.
In the morning...
I woke up early feeling refreshed and decided to go explore the area a bit. Turns out, there is a vineyard 10 minutes from where my grandparents and I are staying. So, as one could expect, with the sun rising over the ridge and the rows of grapes just starting to glisten, I felt physically inspired by the scene. Looking around for resources, one fact made itself very obvious: there are a LOT of big stones in Sicily. This felt like an appropriate apparatus, seeing that the vineyard was walled in by stacks of stones and stone lifting is a decidedly old world form of exercise. I found one that was big, but liftable, and did 30 deadlifts for time. Kudos to the men who have been stackign stones for eons without the help of cranes. This was awkward, uncomfortable, and heavy. It took me just over 7 minutes to complete, and I don't think the rock weighed more than 150 lbs.
In the afternoon...
Along with my grandparents and a few others, I ventured up to Erice, a medieval mountain city overlooking Trapani. This place was unreal. Incredible structures, untouched ruins, and heart stopping views. If history is what you want to experience, this is the place to do it. The Palace of Venus, a relic from the Roman times, literally hangs over the edge of a 3000 foot cliff. There are numerous churches towering over piazzas and squares, and so many tight alleyways bustling with local and touristy shops. Every corner had an authentic sicilian cafe or restaurant.
With the help of my grandmother and grand aunt, I did a short met con at the base of a temple overlooking the bay and beach below. 21, 15, 9 box jumps and burpees.

1 comment:

  1. and i thought your grandmother would be worried about you jumping so near the edge...hi kitty.

    ReplyDelete