Thursday, February 10, 2011

Sandbag Cleans

Workout of the Day

WOD 1 – in the morning…

Gymnastics

Pistols 10, 10, 10, 10

Hanging hip tucks 10, 10, 10, 10

Hollow rocks 3 x 30 seconds

WOD 2 – in the afternoon…

Strength

Deadlift 5, 5, 5, 5 x 1 split set

Strict Press 5, 5, 5, 20

Bent Row 10, 10, 10

Weighted Dips 10, 10, 10

WOD 3 – in the evening…

Conditioning

100 Sandbag cleans to placement (100# to 5 ½ foot ledge)

Another dominant day on the new plan.

Got some heavy duty core work in this AM, playing around with different skills on the pullup bar and inevitably working my way towards front levers. I was able to hold it steady in a crouched position but still no way to do it fully extended. While trying to accomplish this I determined my abdominal hollowing sucks big time. So not only did I finish of the session with some time rocks, but I made my students do the same drill on yoga mats later in the day. Hollow all day.

Not much happened of consequence in the afternoon, but this evening was another winner. A more simple WOD cannot be designed. 100 lbs of sand in a bag with a 5 ½ foot ledge looming above it: put the bag on the ledge 100 times as fast as you can. Boom. Completed it in 9:59, but really didn’t figure out the most efficient technique until somewhere around 65. Up to that point I was fighting the placement, the grip, and the tempo of the exercise. Rookie moves, all. From 65 on I was like a machine and finished strong. If I were to do this again I’d expect to finish in under 9 minutes. The video is below.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome workout, just did a sandbag clean & pullups workout with that evil crossgym bag at 110 lbs.
    Totally kicked my ass! things are so different, with that sandbag. Using it also with my strength routines, for sandbag shouldering.

    ReplyDelete