Thursday, February 3, 2011

Truck Push and Spider Climbs

Workout of the Day

WOD 1 – in the morning…

Gymnastics

Pistol Squats 10, 10, 10, 10

Kipping Pullups 20, 20, 20, 20

Strict Toes to Bar 10, 10, 10, 10

Rest 2 minutes between all sets

WOD 2 – in the afternoon…

Strength

Deadlift 5, 5, 5, 20

Strict Press 5, 5, 5, 20

GHD raise from floor 10, 10, 10

DB Push Press to eccentric 10, 10, 10

Dips 10, 10, 10

Back Extension 10, 10, 10

WOD 3 – in the evening…

Conditioning

For time:

100 meter truck push

10 spider climbs (15 ft ladder)

20 wall climbs (6 ft wall)

Looong day today. I felt fine going in, so I think Monday’s workload was appropriate. Today, however, I think I may have over programmed the middle session. In retrospect I don’t think it’s necessary to have 4 assistance exercises in addition to the main lifts (deadlift/strict press). I would have been just fine doing only dips and back extensions, so that will be adjusted next week.

Skill-wise in the morning things were a little rickety. It’s been awhile since I’ve done pistols and they continue to be a weakness. Ankle flexibility is just so hard to come by it seems… add it to the list of areas to improve I guess. The pullups and toes to bar felt great so both will be increased next week.

During the lifting session I pulled 365, 375, and 375 for my heavy sets and did 295 for the set of 20. My grip gave out during this longer round so I had to drop to reset after 15 and 18. My ass, back, and forearms were like jelly for a good 5 minutes afterwards. The presses felt strong and all the assistance work was effective, but, like I said, in sum this was just too much to be saddled with in one session.

Needless to say, by the time I got to John’s house this evening I was feeling pretty spent physically. But his energy is infectious and I was able to rally up for the day’s final act. We rolled his ’74 Blazer out of the side yard and took it over to the Fire Academy training grounds for the met-con described above. As bad as the 100 meter push sounds, it was the spider climbs that did us in. Hooking our heels on the top side of the ladder and using the under side of the rungs, we pulled ourselves up and down the 15 foot length of aluminum 10 times. This took at least 5 minutes apiece and there were a few times that “hanging on by a thread” could not have been more apt a phrase. My arms were so full of blood that I could barely use them while hurdling the 6 foot police wall down the track. It was more of a wall flop than a wall climb. I finished in 8:46 and John finished in 9:36.

Looking forward to a good night’s rest and some mobility/recovery work tomorrow. Below is the video from Monday night at the Capitol. Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment