Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Simulated "Amanda"

Workout of the Day

WOD 1 - in the morning...

1.5 mile run
Accumulate 5 minutes in a handstand hold

2 Floor Press EMOTM for 10 minutes @ 85% 1RM
3 minute AMRAP Floor Press @ 60% 1RM
3 rounds for completion:
6 weighted chin ups
10 thick bar curls
200 meter overhead carry (135#)

WOD 2 - in the evening...

Partner "Amanda"
9-9-7-7-5-5
Muscle Ups
Squat Snatch (135#)

Pretty legit training day today.  Was able to get everything in that I set out to, which often times isn't possible between coaching, etc.  A couple things jumped out from today: 1) trying to hold a handstand after running is tough.  I didn't expect one to have anything to do with the other, but there was a significant drop in my coordination after the 1.5 miles.  I guess this is one of the first times I've ever really tried to balance after doing a longer run. Something to try if you want a new challenge with your gymnastic skills.

After that I got right into the floor presses, once again feeling progressively stronger since re-introducing this movement a few weeks ago. I comfortably pressed 275# for all sets of 2, and banged out 45 reps at 195# in 3 minutes.  Hoping this muscle endurance training will translate when it comes time to doing higher volume unbroken sets at regionals.

Coming back this evening to hit the partner "Amanda" turned out to be more of a solo affair.  Most everyones hands are chewed up from the weekend down at 209 Sport with Gabe and the gang, so I was left to do a simulated version of the workout.  Jenn substituted ring swings for her muscle ups and empty bar snatches during my rest periods.  My goal was to do all reps unbroken.  I made it through all muscle up sets with out coming off the rings, but missed my 6th snatch on the round of 7.  Not really out of fatigue, just left the bar a little forward and couldn't hold it.  Overall, I was really happy with my ability to touch and go the snatches and string together the muscle ups.  Our simulated time was 6:17.


No comments:

Post a Comment