Friday, May 3, 2013

Sucking at Chest to Bars

Workout of the Day

WOD 1 - in the morning...

2000 meter row for completion
EMOTM Push Press @ 90% 1RM for 10 minutes
3 minute AMRAP Jerk @ 60% 1RM
100 hollow rocks
100 superman rocks
100 pushups

WOD 2 - in the afternoon...

With a partner compete the following:

150 c2b pullups
150 kb swings (24/16)
150 double unders
150 overhead squats (95/65)

Charlie Zamora came out to Folsom to train this morning with the crew... always good to see him.  Although he didn't much like the idea of hopping on the rower to warm up.  He's also pretty much convinced me that doing the Scottish Highland Games is a good idea next year.  Anything involving heavy objects and a kilt has to be a good idea, right?

Again, strength sequence was great today. I push pressed all sets at 220# and never felt in doubt.  I used 185# for the jerks and got 38 reps in 3 minutes.  Stoke about this.  My ability to catch and rebound the bar with heavier weight has gone up considerably; even to the point where I'd count it among my strengths as a competitor.  There's a practiced element to it (knowing where to drop the bar on the chest) but more than anything it's a trust in your body's ability to rebound.  Muscles are like springs if you don't over-contract them.

The partner WOD was less validating, however.  I'm not good at chest to bar pull-ups, plain and simple.  Really, I'm serviceable at best.  I can't butterfly them consistently, for the simple reason that I haven't tried to learn.  For some reason I always just used the gymnastics kip and never felt the need to perfect the butterfly for c2bs.  That need has now become painfully obvious.  As Stef and I struggled to get through our 150, I watched Jenn cruise through 10 at a clip, putting her and Robert on the kb swings a solid 3 minutes before Stef and I got there.  We were able to eat away at their lead during the swings, double unders, and squats, but still finished over a minute behind.  Not being great at this movement is no longer an option, I've decided.  It's on the list and will be perfected in the next few weeks.


1 comment: