Saturday, February 12, 2011

Sandy Shoes

Workout of the Day

WOD 1 – in the morning…

Gymnastics

Handstand pushups 10, 10, 10, 10, 10 w/2 min rest

Handstand Walk 5 x max distance

Forward Rolls

WOD 2 – in the afternoon…

Strength

Front Squat 5, 5, 5, 12, 12

Weighted Chins 3, 3, 3, max @ BW

WOD 3 – in the evening…

Conditioning

2 rounds - rest while partner works

50 yard fisherman pull (65#)

50 yard bear crawl w/tire (85#)

50 yard kettlebell throw (35#)

Smoking day today. It was absolutely gorgeous out—so pretty that I took the racks outside to squat in the sun. There’s something about doing this that makes it impossible to be disappointed in yourself. I didn’t make 5 on any of my 3 sets @ 285 lb on front squat (4, 4, 3+2) but I really couldn’t care less afterwards. The weather just carried too many good vibrations to worry about missed lifts.

I took that short memory into the weighted chins and turned out some good numbers. I got 2 sets of 3 at 106 lb before only getting 2 on the last. Then I was able to knock out 21 strict chins at BW. This is definitely my best total ever for this exercise.

Not long after Justin and I headed over to the River Park Levy where there is ample amounts of sand and space in which to play. We brought a few tires, some bumper plates, a rope, and a kettlebell and carved out the sprint above. WAY fun, this one. The sand made a big difference, especially on the rope pulls. Even running back between exercises felt tougher. Overall I felt very strong and well conditioned throughout both rounds of this sequence but am looking forward to the weekend. The Sactown Throwdown is tomorrow at CF East Sac so things should be kicked off right. Enjoy the video.

4 comments:

  1. I dig your 1/1 schedule, what was the motivation behind the sets of 12 and max reps for the squat and pullup?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kris, i did the sets of 12 instead of a single set of 20 because my form was starting to slip on the 285 sets. the max set of strict pullups is to work local muscle endurance. you feel pretty light after doing the weighted ones ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been thinking about making some tire sleds like you have there and yours seem to be pretty solid. I had a couple questions if you wouldn't mind revealing some of your secrets :).

    Do you just have a single eye bolt thru the wall of the tire? Did you put a washer on the inside or something? Did you just attach a loop of 2" webbing or was that something else you used for the strap? Did you put something on top of the tire or do the bumpers just sit there nicely?

    Also, I find your programming really interesting and fresh and the videos are cool so thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's pretty funny to watch. I think throwing kettlebells was pretty awesome. Justin seemed much more into the throw though, Blair. I mean he did fall when he threw it. Were you just going easy on him?

    -Matt P

    ReplyDelete