Friday, July 22, 2011

20 minute back squat WOD

arnold-squat-franco-300x271.jpg

Workout of the Day WOD 1 - in the morning... 5 rounds for completion: 20 yard handstand walk Max toes to bar WOD 2 - in the afternoon... Back Squats @ 85% 1RM 3 repetitions per minute, on the minute until failure to complete (20 minute cap) WOD 3 - in the evening... 4 minute tabata sets of: Row for meters Kb swings (24 kg) Thrusters (75#) L sits for seconds One week out from the Games, this is exactly the kind of test I needed. High skill in the morning, heavy strength in the afternoon, and balls to the wall conditioning in the evening. I went to bed feeling like I hadn’t slept in a week and I plan a long session in the river today to help me recover. A quick little recap of the day’s events: My handstand walking has never felt better. I feel totally under control and am able to adjust my speed by adjusting my lean pretty consistently. The toes to bar weren’t quite so impressive: 20, 17, 15, 15, 15. But with pumped out arms I’m not sure these numbers were so bad. The back squats proved again to me that 1 minute intervals are my absolute FAVORITE way to structure training for strength endurance. My weight was 343#, a little under 85% but still a substantial amount of weight for me, and I was able to complete all 20 rounds. That’s 60 squats at near maximal load!!! The 45-50 seconds of recovery between sets was enough to let my nervous system settle down and re-focus on the next set, but not much else. My entire lower body was fried for hours afterwards, but now is only feeling lingering soreness. I think the light thrusters and rowing helped with that a lot last night. Speaking of last night, CF Anywhere took to the streets to join Folsom’s Thursday Night Market, sponsoring a booth and doing a live demonstration of what CrossFit is. We performed the tabata sequence outlined above in front of hundreds of spectators out to shop for clothing and antiques. Ha, did they get a surprise. I’m hoping to have the pictures and video by tomorrow so stay tuned. My lowest rounds for each exercise were Row - 105 m, kb - 10 swings, thrusters - 6, L sits - 12 seconds.

No comments:

Post a Comment