Monday, October 5, 2009

Monday is for Snatching

Everything was closed and in recovery on Sunday, so I decided to join the crowd. An extra day of rest every few weeks can be a good thing, and it'd been awhile since I took off 2 days in a row.
After missing last Monday's session due to a late arrival from Sicily, I was really excited to get back on the platform and train with Hank tonight. We followed a similar program to last time, starting with snatches. My form is definitely improving and I can see the difference on the video clips. I had 100 kg overhead solidly but couldn't stabilize it on the way up and ended up losing it behind. To work on this aspect of the movement, we did some snatch balances instead of pulls next. Doing sets of 3, I got up to 85 kg feeling good. I want to incorporate this exercise a lot more-- it's so good for speed and balance. We finished with back squat, doing heavy sets of 3. I did 4 sets at 150 kg and felt challenged but not overly so. I focused on getting better depth and really driving up from the bottom. Walking out of the gym, I could feel the difference. Serious jelly legs. Here's the breakdown:
Snatch: 3, 3, 2, 2, 1, 1, 1, 1
Snatch Balance: 3, 3, 3, 3, 3
Back Squat: 4, 4, 4, 3, 3, 3, 3
Really excited about the program I have planned for this week. After 2 days of rest over the weekend, I feel ready to hit it hard.

1 comment:

  1. actually, EVERYDAY is for snatching ;). oly lifts are my love!

    not that you asked, but .... i looked at your vid from a few days back. to me, i think you are chasing both forward because you don't have enough "finish". that is, as you start the thrid pull under the barbell... your shoulders are still overtop of the bar. although we want the shoulders over the bar for as long as possible (i.e., ground until mid-thigh) - once you go for triple ext and begin the descent... shoulders end up behind the bar. so hips stay vertical, but torso has a slight layback (at triple extenstion). i have a great pic to send you to illustrate the point - hit me up with your email address via FB.

    ReplyDelete