Friday, October 23, 2009

Establish a Max

Tonight's workout broke down some of the different component parts of the snatch in an effort to develop strength during different stages of the movement, and then build towards a new 1RM of the total movement. It was inspired by some advice I received from Mike Burgener a few months ago, but proved to be a little more than I was ready for. The program was:
Establish a 1 rep max for each of the following:
Muscle Snatch
Push Press to Overhead Squat
Snatch Balance
Snatch
On the muscle snatches I got up to 60 kg. This is a weird movement that I haven't done much of. In general, I think I prefer power snatches from the hang to work on the top end of the pull.
The push press to Overhead Squat went well. I topped out at 110 kg, which was new OH squat PR for me. I think I couldve gone higher, as well. I screwed up on the pressing portion of the 115 kg attempt, so I never got the chance to squat it.
The Snatch Balance's were considerably less successful. By this point my shoulders were pretty weary, and I just couldn't get comfortable with the movement. The top weight I got was 95 kg. Apparently, you should be able to do 20% over your 1 rep full snatch max. Work to be done, I guess.
The snatches were a joke. I was pretty exhausted by this point, and only managed to get 90 kg. Instead, I spent some time working the technique during the first pull, where I've noticed some forward lean and pre-lift misalignment.
Overall, so-so day... looking forward to tomorrow. Here's a video of the OH squat.

1 comment:

  1. Monstrous OHS! That is the classic Mike Burgner progression. I have PR'd my snatch 3 out of 3 while doing all those exercises to fail in one session. Muscle snatch is a wierd but great ecercise, keep working those. Dude, you need fork out for some oly shoes. Snatch balance and snatch both suck ass without shoes. I won't even do those exercises without my shoes, and you won't either once you finally get a pair. Now that you have established #'s on all those lifts do the workout again in a week or so and quickly work up to your PR's or try to beat them by 5 and I gaurentee you will PR on snatch. You probably just did so many attempts to get there that you were toast by the time you had to snatch.

    Your blog is awesome. I get jealous seeing all the cool shit you've been doing. At times I am amazed that you have been able to keep up the volume, but it seems to be working great for you. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete