Friday, July 2, 2010

Climb Something

Workout of the Day

AM – WOD 1:

Deadlift 3, 3, 3+ @ 70, 80, 90% 1RM

Strict Press 3, 3, 3+ @ 70, 80, 90% 1RM

Good Morning 10, 10, 10

Square bar chinups 10, 10, 10

Dips 15, 15, 15

Hanging L sit holds 3 x max

PM – WOD 2:

Go Climbing

Only 2 weeks and change until the games and information continues to leak out slowly. Apparently there will be no WOD announcements until 1 hr before each respective event. I love this. No planning. No strategy. No sweating it out. Just get out and go.

This morning I met my boy John at his gym for the beginning of week 6 in my run at the 5/3/1 strength program. I can’t say enough about the results that seem to be coming from this outwardly simple program. Today I finished the deadlift set with 6 repetitions at 395 lbs, 20 lbs more than I lifted for the same reps last week. The overhead presses I only managed 4 reps at 170 lbs, but felt strong enough to get 5. Afterwards John and I supersetted the good mornings and chinups, then moved to dips and L-sits. All of this assistance work went well and I expect to feel the effects tomorrow.

In the afternoon we headed over to Negro Bar on Lake Natoma in search of some outdoor bodyweight challenges. On the Folsom side of the water we found a steel gazebo that was perfect for climbing. We did spider climbs, ninja warrior-style lateral scaling, and a whole host of other stuff. We also strung up the rings and practiced handstand pushups on them. Definitely glad I did this because it’s a lot trickier than I thought.

Overall today’s training was hard work in the morning and loose fun in the afternoon. Nice balance in combination. Additionally, the location was beautiful and will set up perfect for a future WOD including a river swim. Really looking forward to that one.

4 comments:

  1. Ola Blair, eu sou do Brasil e constantemente vejo seus treinos no youtube, acho muito legal, aqui no Brasil o crossfit ainda não é divulgado, mas eu sempre estou lendo e comecei a fazer e os resultados são ótimos. Parabéns pelos treinos.
    Valeu.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck at the Games!!!!!!!! It's going to be amazing to watch you compete!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

  4. Quite a workout, i think it's hard to do because i tried one of like this pose in yoga exercises and that's been though to me. Because i'm a beginner and i read few 5 best Yoga breathing exercises that helps while you're climb the more your stamina is the more it would help to remain still.

    ReplyDelete