Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Day 1 back at it


Workout of the Day
WOD 1 – in the morning…
20 minutes static stretch and mobility
Parallette handstand holds
Lateral handstand walking
Full range kipping hspu
WOD 2 – in the afternoon…
Snatch 1, 1, 1, 1, 1
“Isabel” – 30 snatches @ 135# for time
Back Squat 5, 5, 5, 5
WOD 3 – in the evening…
Use 10 minutes to complete the following:
100 sledge hammer strikes (50 each)
AMRAP in the remaining time:
½ mile air dyne
10 muscle ups
First day of real training since the week before the CF Games and I came into it extremely motivated.  I’ve decided to get upside every morning for at least 10 minutes of various balancing and pressing exercises.  This is a lower intensity, high volume approach so I don’t expect too much impact on the body or joints, but I do expect my nervous system to learn a lot.  I’ve decided that this is going to be a strength rather than a medium weakness. 
My snatches felt rusty, but fast.  I stopped at 215# and worked a few sets there trying to get my feel back.  The power is there, just the timing was off.  I followed it immediately with “Isabel,” a benchmark I’d never done until today.  Watching the finalists go through it in the stadium on Sunday made me want to try it, and I think following up a heavy session with one large set with lighter weights is a great way to finish things off.  My time was 2:23.  Not bad but I think I’ll be under 2:00 before long.  Going right into back squats wasn’t as tough as I thought it would be.  I gave myself 5 minutes or so, but then just started hitting it.  Ended up at 345# for my top set and felt great. 
My conditioning WOD tonight turned out to be a crusher.  No big thing with the 100 sledge strikes—I used a 16# sledge and really hit the tire every time.  No bullshit sledge swinging.  But the air dyne/muscle up combo was brutal.  I ended up finishing 2 rounds + the ½ mile and 2 muscle ups.  My legs were splitting and my heart rate was maxed.  Loved the push but felt the week off for sure.  Day off tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. Inspired by your programming, I've started doing 2 wods/day to get more full rest days. Every now and then I cram a static session in during early mornings, as neither my strength nor my stamina is even near full capacity before lunchtime (brain seems to work decently tho, so good time to get some paid work done..)

    Today it was butterfly kip practice/skin the cat in the morning, followed by snatches and a snatch/run wod in the evening (been moving rocks all day at my parents', so no 3rd wod today..)

    Do you think the 2-3 wods per day/full rest day setup has been a success for you?

    ReplyDelete