Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Back to Midtown

Workout of the Day

AM – WOD 1:

6 rounds for time

15 meter underwater swim from push start + 10 meter freestyle

10 poolside muscle ups

10 pushups (sets 1/4) situps (sets 2/5) squats (sets 3/6)

PM – WOD 2:

Clean and Jerk 3, 3, 3, 3

Snatch Balance 3, 3, 3

Got back to the pool today and, with a little help from my friend Kasper, set out to do the above workout. No diving allowed at the Lembi Park lap pool, so I had to do all the underwater stuff from a push off, making it much harder. This was a great element because holding your breath while you’re out of it is just not something that you ever really have to do. It takes a lot of concentration and a lot of stamina. Beyond that, this workout was really all about the muscle ups. The pool I use is 7 feet deep, but the ledge to the pool deck is probably closer to 8 feet from the bottom. This means that you can hang straight armed on the edge of the pool without touching the bottom. Totally submerged, your body is light. Every inch you lift it out it gets heavier. Nice way to train a taxing movement like muscle ups. My upper body was so fried after 6 rounds of doing this that I had trouble toweling off. My time was 10:15.

Later in the afternoon I shot down to Midtown Strength and Conditioning to catch up with friends and owners Camillo Gutierrez and Tara Getty. The place looked great, even better than I remembered it from last summer. Together with another friend Chad, Camillo and I proceeded to tackle some heavy Olympic lifts. These guys had already done about 20 sets of snatches before I arrived, so I was just stoked that they stuck around, let alone trained alongside me. Having them there gave me a little extra push and I managed an 11 lb PR at 255 for 3 reps clean and jerk. Honestly, it's like the atmosphere at Midtown is so great you can't help but set records. Can't wait to go back.

Another great day has me feeling like things are really moving in the right direction for Carson in a few weeks. Resting tomorrow and then a great series of challenges over the holiday weekend. Bring on the heat.

No comments:

Post a Comment