Wednesday, May 26, 2010


Workout of the Day

AM - WOD 1:

Strict Press 3, 3, 3+ @ 70, 80, 90% 1RM

Deadlift 3, 3, 3+ @ 70, 80, 90% 1RM

Weighted Chin ups (5 kg) 10, 10, 10, 10

Good Mornings 10, 10, 10, 10

Weighted Dips (5 kg) 15, 15, 15

Toes to Bar 15, 15, 15

PM – WOD 2:

5 rounds for repetitions:

With a 3 minute running clock, row 500 meters then do AMRAP double unders for the remainder.

Rest 1 minute between sets.

Record total double unders.

I was feeling a little under the weather today. I can’t tell if it’s hay fever or a head cold, but either way it’s very annoying and my nose is getting raw from all the blowing. Hopefully it clears tonight and I can get on the plane with no congestion.

WOD 1 was the first day of my second week on the 5/3/1 program. The weights were heavier and I felt stronger. My last set of presses I did 8 repetitions at 70 kg literally was an inch from getting the 9th. Not sure where that last bit of strength went at the end, but it was a 4-5 second fight that I wound up losing. For the deadlifts I finished at 162.5 kg for 10 reps, dead stopping between again. That I was able to do the same number of reps at a weight 7.5 kg heavier was interesting. I felt that the limiting factor was muscle fatigue in my hamstrings and ass right around rep 8-9, same as last week. Strange feeling that I don’t recall getting with deadlifts, but whatever—it seems to be working.

WOD 2 was a pure recovery routine. My goal was to be consistent for 5 rounds and push things without burning out. To this end I was successful. Every 500 was under 1:45 and the double unders weren’t bad either. I hit 68 the first round, 69 the second, 75 the third, 74 the fourth, and 80 on the last. The first two rounds were lower because my rope was knotted too short and it kept clipping my toe. After MF-ing myself the first 2 sets I finally let out some slack and felt much better the rest of the way. In light of this, I think an average of 80 per round is very realistic. My total was 364, but I’d like to see 400. Overall recovery was great in the minute between rounds though, making me think that all this extra strength work hasn’t hurt me much in that area.

Resting tomorrow morning then flying to Iceland to visit Sven and company in the afternoon. I won't be back in Oxford til Tuesday, so my postings may be a bit sporadic. So ready for this trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment