Thursday, January 17, 2013

415# Double

Workout of the Day

WOD 1 - in the afternoon...

Back Squat Triples up to 405#
Deadlifts from blocks x 5
Reverse Hypers 3 x 20
GHD Situps 3 x 20

WOD 2 - in the evening...

10 rounds for time:
5 c2b pullups
10 ring pushups
15 air squats

It took me a few days to recover from the snowshoeing this weekend, believe it or not.  There was some deep powder off the trail that made the hiking pretty tough in spots and my hip flexors and back were still knotted up a bit through Monday.  Therefore I didn't train until Tuesday, foregoing the pressing workouts I had planned for Monday.  Anyways, I'm glad I did because I went into the strength session feeling great Tuesday.  Worked straight up to a 405# triple that I hit in spite of a wobbly 2nd rep.  No knee sleeves or back belt, just felt stronger than the bar.  I attempted to go another at 415#, but after a grinding 2nd rep decided not to go back down for the 3rd.

Deadlifts were great again.  Continuing to feel stronger and more stable against heavier and heavier weight.  Was able to do 2 sets at 405# straight through and felt no lumbar movement at all.  Mark has really been hitting the assistance movements for the back and hamstrings hard so that's where I attribute the gains.

In the evening I did the above version of Cindy, but only for 10 rounds.  The idea here was to pick a smooth pace and not deviate from it.  Hitting burnout on bodyweight exercises is something that tends to happen when we get too amped up and perform reps at a pace that is more explosive than fast.  Most times we don't need to be explosive during said exercises, but smooth instead.  I went straight through, not breaking the ring pushups until the final 2 rounds, and finished in 8:08.

Thursday I'm planning on hitting the hills at Lake Natoma for some old fashioned "cardio."  Should be a bear and a dream :-)

1 comment:

  1. Badass pic !
    Wish I was there. That's my idea of going hardcore!

    ReplyDelete