Wednesday, January 19, 2011

CrossFit Submerged

Workout of the Day

WOD 1… in the morning

Deadlift 5, 5, 5, 5

WOD 2… in the afternoon

20 minute AMRAP swim for meters

Followed by L sit holds and hip rocks on handrails

Deadlifts this morning felt decent but not great. My sets were at 120 kg, 140 kg, 160 kg, and 180 kg. Holding on to the bar with blistered fingers was a tad painful and I actually tore through one of them on my pinkie, but I think that will just hurry the healing process.

I was back at the pool in the afternoon to continue working on my stroke, somewhat inspired by my good friend in Denmark Kasper Hansen. Kasper is the world class pentathlete who took me through the navy obstacle course in Copenhagen last fall. He has since torn his way through a couple of CrossFit competitions in Scandinavia and started his own blog centering around water training. He’s got all kinds of ideas and a ton of expertise that I plan on taking full advantage of. Check him out at CrossFit Submerged.

For my pool workout today I simply went for distance, trying to find a consistent stroke (in reality a combination of strokes) that would allow me to swim continually with little rest. I managed 1100 meters in the 20 allotted minutes—I never really rested but I wasn’t flipping turns or pushing myself too hard either. It would be great to get this number closer to a mile but that may be too big a jump for a novice like me. Then again, who knows what secrets I might glean from Kasper’s blog…

5 comments:

  1. Hey brother

    Looking busy as always!

    I´ll get you the info this weekend, got the answers I was waiting for!

    Sven

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the kind words man! Will do the walk under water WOD this weekend and hopefully capture some of it on video.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice work. 1100 meters is solid. Remember actual swimmers I coach are about 1500 meters in 15:40-17 minnutes depending on gender, so you did very well. Keep it up. Brian Nabeta

    ReplyDelete
  4. It mean to do backing up to the smaller tire and swinging the sledge between your legs to generate the force and propel the tire down the street in reverseTires Miami

    ReplyDelete